There is no question that a digital marketing platform is no longer a “nice to have” but a “must have” for a business of any size. Consumers across various generations now primarily use the internet to research and purchase products and services. Particularly, mobile has become increasingly important in the digital space. According to Small Biz Club, 51 percent of consumers said they are more likely to purchase products and services through a mobile-optimized site. Properly executing a digital strategy can be challenging as there is so much digital content being uploaded to the web every minute, and paid advertising is becoming increasingly expensive. Below are common missteps you should avoid when developing your digital marketing strategy:
1. Not Honing in on Your Target Audience: The key advantages small businesses have are their locality and proximity to their consumers. Even huge consumer product goods companies like P&G sometimes lose sight of who is purchasing their product. Make sure you maximize your advertising investment by properly targeting your consumer in terms what you say, how you say it and where you post your media.
2. Running Ads that Do Not Speak to Your Audience: Remember, it is not all about you. Businesses that struggle to create effective online ads do so because their strategies focus on telling potential customers what the company does, rather than how it can help them. Instead, focus your messaging around users and what problem or challenge you are solving in their lives. Try different calls to action based on improving your users’ experience, and tailor your marketing to where customers are in the buying process.
3. Undermining the Power of SEO: If you do not know what SEO stands for, you are already behind. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It refers to the algorithm that determines the ranking of your website in an online word search. Just think, when was the last time you clicked on the “next page” button after doing a Google search? Improving your SEO is very important to drive awareness towards your business. In short, SEO is based on how your website and content is linked to the rest of the online world. So the more content you post and gets shared, the more relevant you are and the higher your search ranking becomes. Refer to the article below on tips on how to improve your SEO.
4. Letting Google Run the Show when Setting AdWords Advertising: One of the biggest AdWords mistakes and pitfalls is allowing Google or other major search engines determine which queries you want your ads shown for. Google is pretty intuitive but they get it wrong – a lot. The more direction you give them, the better your results will be. Unless you specify the type of matches you want, your keywords will all default to broad match. Use Exact and Phrase match for more control over when your ads are shown.
5. Sending E-mail Newsletters without Something Meaningful to Say: This sounds obvious but it is a trap that many business owners fall into. Consistency is just as important as the content that goes into every email. Before starting a newsletter, make sure it is a sustainable commitment that will help you achieve your business goals. Otherwise, you will be wasting your subscribers’ time and your own time. Ask yourself: What’s the goal for this kind of communication? What do we have to say? How will we measure success? Send thoughtful newsletters, and keep the focus on your company’s message.
Many of the tips mentioned above seem intuitive yet many managers make these rookie mistakes. Honing in on your strategic audience and improving the execution of your digital strategy will ensure you do not waste your time creating appealing content that gets lost in the ocean of content drifting in the web.
- 6 Uncomplicated Social SEO Tips for Small Businesses
- How to Design Online Ads Effectively and Successfully
- 15 Email Marketing Tips For Small Businesses
We Can Help You by Offering a Free Credit Assessment Today
Whether or not you are looking for business financing, get your free credit assessment today to understand where your business stands. Camino Financial provides business development tools and capital to small businesses. We work with our business clients to access up to $500,000 in financing in a timely, cost-effective & prudent manner.