How to Advertise Your Business for Free
If you are thinking of how to advertise your business, consider this: there are a lot of ways to bump up your business’ advertising for little or no cost at all.
The number of free or almost free ways to spread the word about your company makes expensive forms of advertising less necessary than ever. This is not to say that there is no value in traditional, costly advertising like television or radio. It simply means that these are no longer the only advertising options businesses have at their disposal.
The goal of any advertising campaign should be to engage current customers and create new ones. Your advertising won’t be effective unless ultimately it builds up your sales and your profits.
The ideas in this article are designed to help you put your business in front of more possible customers. Which ones work for your company and your customers?
Keep reading: The Best Business Name Ideas
How to Advertise Your Business for FREE – 30 Ideas
- Make your advertising interactive. You can create incentives for customers to engage with your ads online. Ask questions or request their insights. People generally love to be asked their opinions and will freely give them.
- Hold contests and events. Customers love when businesses hold special events or contests, and you don’t need to spend much on this. Even simple events, like an open house day, can make a big impact on the local community by getting your company name in front of a wider audience.
- Show your customers how you provide products/services. You can do this in any number of ways, from video or blog interviews with employees to info about how you operate. Customers value transparency in businesses they patronize, so make sure to let them see behind the scenes whenever possible.
- Use Facebook Live to create a captive audience. Facebook Live is a great way to get customers involved in the life of your business. Having a regularly scheduled live event gives customers something to come back for on a regular basis.
- Take advantage of Instagram’s visual features. Instagram has a number of valuable imaging and marketing features to help businesses put their best foot forward to new customers.
- Train brand ambassadors. These can be employees, family, friends, or other trusted individuals. Simply teach them about your business and your marketing strategies. Then let your brand ambassadors loose.
- Reward customers for engaging with your social media accounts. Customers love being given coupon codes or other rewards for interacting with your company. This is an easy way to reward them for taking the time to get to know your business.
- Cultivate a solid word-of-mouth reputation. Ask your customers if they would recommend your business to someone else. If they say yes, ask them to!
- Host product/service giveaways or discount days. Giveaways and discounts are always surefire winners that keep customers coming back for more.
- Fine-tune a Pinterest board. Pinterest is a great place to show off your brand’s visual style and accomplishments. Make sure your Pinterest board shows your company’s absolute best.
- Use branding on company vehicles. This is a low-cost option that really makes a difference. Putting your brand name across your town using simple but tasteful decals, logos, and bumper stickers can be a major boost.
- Use creative social media like Snapchat. Lots of companies use Snapchat to get customers to pay closer attention to their content. Snapchat can be used in creative ways. These create an incentive for customers to really pay attention to your content.
- Form partnerships with other local businesses. Reach out to other local business owners whose brands you respect. Offer to sponsor each other’s companies, potentially opening up both your customer bases to each other.
- Publicly support charitable causes. Customers appreciate it when businesses give back to the local community through charities. Pick a cause that fits your business and publicize it.
- Maintain a community presence at city events, festivals, and local fairs. If you create a name for yourself in the local community, your business can become a permanent local fixture.
- Join your local chamber of commerce. This is a great way to network with other business people and local leaders. These are good people to know as they can help put your brand in front of more customers.
- Do business in your neighborhood as well as outside of it. By doing business near where you live, you show that you are confident in your reputation, and you build up a local network.
- Create podcasts or online videos to engage more customers. Videos and podcasts are two of the most popular ways people get their information and entertainment.
- Respond promptly to emails and social media messages. By answering customers promptly, even to let them know you will get back to them, you show that you respect their time.
- Start or revamp your company blog. Having a blog is one of the best ways to regularly funnel important information to your audience. Blogs give you total control over the content you put out and are easy to create, update, and maintain.
- Share content with other local businesses. Cross-posting on each other’s social media accounts (like Instagram takeovers) or sharing each other’s ad campaigns helps you to reach customers who might otherwise never have heard of your businesses.
- Set up your company’s Yelp. Yelp is an important tool for customers to gauge a business’s trustworthiness and efficiency. You should make sure your Yelp page is set up and has positive reviews. Address any customer complaints as soon as possible to show your investment in customer satisfaction.
- Record online analytics. You can do this in a variety of ways. Most social media sites now offer ad analytics to track.
- Make sure your company is listed with the right review or certification sites. Customers check these sites to make sure your business is legitimate and trustworthy.
- Use low-cost Facebook ads. Facebook is a great way to advertise for little to no cost. You can even tailor ads for specific audiences, so you get your money’s worth.
- Create a LinkedIn profile and encourage your employees to link with your company. This helps generate a digital community of friends, family, and colleagues around your business.
- Host seminars, webinars, and other informative events. Customers love to receive helpful information at no cost to them.
- Register with the Better Business Bureau and resolve customer problems. The BBB is one of the most renowned business organizations in the world. Make sure your listing with them is official and positive.
- Make sure your storefront is prominent and attractive. This is a simple aspect of advertising many entrepreneurs overlook. Your storefront should be appealing and noticeable.
- Speak about your company at business lunches, conferences, and other events. These events can be political, business, charitable, or community gatherings.
Conduct market research to help you find the right avenues for connecting with your audience. You should also study your business’ budget to see if you can add any more funding to your ad campaigns. While more money does not mean a better campaign, it is essential that certain campaigns have enough financing to operate.
At Camino Financial, our motto is, “No business left behind.” That is why we make it our goal to help businesses like yours in every way possible. We go beyond financing providing you with the tools and resources you need to grow your business and thrive. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive them weekly in your mailbox at no cost.
Keep reading Creative advertising ideas for your small business