Did you know that 84% of employers have found a lie or misrepresentation on a resume or job application?
If you’re hiring a new employee, then you probably don’t want to end up in this group. Therefore, start using the services of the background check companies and ensure making the best choice for your business that won’t cost your company money, time, or other resources.
Now you’re probably wondering how background check companies can help you in the hiring process and how to choose the best one? Just scroll down, and you will find your answers.
What are employee background check companies?
Background check companies help you verify some facts from a candidates’ resume or job application. For instance, you can check education, criminal records, employment history, Social Security number traces, credit reporting, etc.
Once you order an employee background screening service, the turnaround times usually vary from one to five days, and you get a report with accurate information about your potential worker.
That way, you get certainty that a new hire is trustworthy and competent to do the work. For example, if the job position involves managing the clients’ money, it would be good to check the credit history of the employee to make sure this person is responsible and knows how to deal with cash.
How to choose a background check company?
Once you’ve realized that background check companies can help you find reliable and professional employees, you’ll probably want to find one.
When choosing a background check company, keep in mind the following pieces of advice:
- Determine the type of data you need to gather on future employees. For example, not all background check companies offer drug screenings.
- Make sure the company is an accredited member of the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) and that its screenings comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Don’t forget to check the turnaround time, especially if you need data as soon as possible.
- Explore the pricing options.
- Check if customer service is available since you might need help with your results.
Top 10 background check companies
After learning about background check companies, it’s time to discover some of the best ones.
This is one of the most popular background check companies for small and mid-sized businesses that prides itself on providing fast turnaround times. AccurateNow helps you:
- Verify employment history
- Verify education history
- Check criminal records
Best for: Companies that need to act quickly and snag top talent before their competitors.
Pricing: There is a one-time fee of $25 to create an account with AccurateNow. Once your profile is approved, you get to choose available packages:
- Basic+ $29.95/report
- Standard $59.95/report
- Premium $74.95/report
If your business requires constant background searches, then PeopleFinders is the right place for you. Not only do they provide accurate checks, but they also offer a low monthly subscription. Besides, their background check includes:
- Contact information: email, addresses, phone numbers
- Legal information: marriages, criminal judgments, court records
- Possessed assets
Best for: Small businesses that run many background checks.
Pricing: Report without legal information costs $1.95 each, while the monthly subscription is $24.95.
GoodHire is one of the best background check companies for businesses that often hire multiple workers because of their automated processes. Once you fill in needed requirements, you can duplicate the steps for future searches, which saves you time. Also, you can:
- Verify criminal and legal records
- Check medical and healthcare records
- Customize packages to meet your particular employment requirements
Best for: Companies that regularly hire new team members at the same time.
Pricing: There are different packages available:
- Basic $29.99
- Standard $54.99
- Premium $79.99
4. B&B Reporting Inc.
B&B Reporting Inc. is a cloud-based platform which offers accurate background checks that allow you to verify:
- Employment and education history
- License and professional certification
- Motor vehicle records
Best for: For small and medium businesses that want to conduct background checks with the help of up-to-date technology.
Pricing: Given that B&B Reporting Inc. offers customized services based on customers’ needs, fixed packages aren’t available, but you can expect the pricing range from $12.95 to $39.95.
If you’re working in transportation, retail, education, or healthcare, HireRight is one of the most reliable background check companies for your business. It provides verification services in more than 200 countries worldwide. Besides, it offers:
- Customizable employment screening services
- Background screening for hiring high-level executives
- Various checks, such as alcohol tests, drug screenings, etc.
Best for: International companies that hire individuals from the US, as well as the ones living abroad.
Pricing: You need to get in touch with the customer support to get the pricing information based on your needs.
Intelius offers information services, such as background checks, people and property searches, as well as reverse phone lookup. Their well-designed reports will provide you with:
- Personal information like phone numbers, court judgments, marriages, and so on
- Education and work history
- Bankruptcies and assets
Best for: Businesses that need to investigate detailed personal history.
Pricing: There are single-report purchase options, as well as monthly subscriptions that cost $19.95 or $29.95.
7. US Search
US Search is one of the background search companies which provide the best value for money. You can expect low prices, multiple search options, and up-to-date information. Besides, you can check:
- Phone numbers, addresses, relatives, etc.
- Criminal records and court judgments
- Marriages and assets
Best for: Companies that are tight on a budget, but still need accurate reports.
Pricing: A single report costs $39.95, while a monthly subscription is $19.95.
8. Instant Checkmate
Instant Checkmate is a public records search service that allows you to search for anybody in America. Apart from background checks, you can discover police records, photos, social media, contact information, civil judgment, and much more. More precisely, their reports include:
- Phone numbers, emails, and addresses
- Assets and marriages
- Registered sex offenders
Best for: Companies that want the most comprehensive reports.
Pricing: Monthly subscription costs $34.78, and there isn’t an option to purchase a single report.
If you’re interested in verifying the previous jobs of your candidates, then BeenVerified is the right option for you. You can expect details regarding work history that other services may miss. Likewise, you can find information on:
- Phone number, addresses, and emails
- Businesses or houses that a person owns
- Criminal history
Best for: Companies that want to check the work history of their future employees.
Pricing: $22.86 per month.
Sterling gives top-notch services, and in case you have specific requirements that aren’t included in any of the background check packages, you can get customization options. Their basic plan covers:
- Social Security number trace.
- Criminal check with verification.
- Department of Justice sex offender search.
- Single-county criminal search.
Best for: Small and medium-sized businesses that want fast and customized background checks.
- Basic Plan $29.95 per check
- Preferred Plan $59.95 per check
- Pro Plan $79.95 per check
Plus, there are additional checks:
- Employment verification $19.95
- Education verification $19.95
- Driver’s record $9.95
Knowing your employees can help you achieve success
Consulting background check companies when hiring a new employee can save you money and time in the long run. In other words, you will make the right decision based on accurate data, so you won’t need to repeat this process and squander your resources.
Instead, you can focus on more meaningful projects and grow your business.
If you want to explore more options, keep on reading: The best background check software